We had a lot of fun with Reciplay; yes, we did. We also got a little punchy towards the end. That’s the only way I can explain how we decided to make pasta and then serve it up following a knife attack. Be warned; the photos get increasingly graphic. And delicious.
Occasionally I’ll be resurrecting some recipes from Reciplay and posting them here. This particular recipe was contributed by Ceci.
You don’t have to be an Italian Grandma to be able to make pasta by hand. Homemade pasta is delicious, impressive, and not at all difficult (though it most definitely time-consuming). Use the accompanying directions and experiment with creating your own fillings.
For dough: 1 cup unbleached flour ; 2 large eggs; ½ tablespoon milk . For filling: 1 cup tomato sauce ; 1½ cups ricotta cheese ; ½ cup chopped parsely; 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese ;Salt; 1 egg yolk ; dash of nutmeg.
The dough steps are the same as those outlined in the tortellini recipe of yore.
To fashion Bleeding Heart/Teddy Bear Ravioli,
1. First, make the filling: Combine the ricotta, parsley, parmesan cheese, egg yolk, salt, and nutmeg. You can either make your own tomato sauce, or get it from a jar (it’s okay, we won’t judge you).
2. With a heart-shaped or teddy bear-shaped (or any-shaped) cookie cutter, make slight imprints on one of the strips of dough. This is to estimate how many ravioli can be made with it.
3. Place about a quarter teaspoon of ricotta cheese on each shape-imprint. Repeat with a quarter teaspoon of sauce on top of the cheese.
4. With a pastry brush dipped in water, brush water around the filling.
5. Carefully pick up the second stip of pasta and place directly over the strip with the filling. Press lightly all around the bumps containing the filling.
6. With the cookie cutters, cut around each bump of filling.
7. When all the ravioli are cut, lift the dough scraps from around them off the table.
8. Place the completed ravioli in between two damp dish towels until you are ready to boil them. If you have trouble getting them off the surface, use a bit of dental floss in a gentle sawing motion under the ravioli until it comes up.
9. Boil the pasta in heavily salted water, sauce, and serve immediately.